A scrapbook of whatever I'm making, collecting, or just obsessing about
at the moment.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

McCalls 2123: View G, bias-trimmed robe

Francie Repro in View G,  Robe
This robe was a good learning experience in applying bias binding. I have applied miles it before--but only on quilts, blind stitching it down by hand. This application is different and more difficult, I feel.

But because my mother was so good at it, I really wanted to learn too. She made diapers for our baby dolls from flannel with bias tape binding--six tricky curves for each one!

You can't see all the mistakes in this picture! There are places where the topstitching didn't catch the edge on the other side, so I will have to be doing some hand-sewing after all, to fix that up.

If I made another version of it, I would probably get better... but I think for now I will go on to the next view.

This pattern would be quite fast and easy to make, if it weren't for the binding. You could use fleece for it and skip the binding, or do some decorative serging around it.  I thought of lining it too, as a way to finish the edges, but that hood would make it difficult. It was tricky enough with a single layer--it has to be gathered up a little.

TNT Barbie in View G, Robe
Being so loose, this robe fits all my dolls pretty well. Even Barbie's tiny waist doesn't cause any problems with the fit!

If the doll has much hair, though, it won't be easy to get the hood up. Tammy isn't going to be wearing it any time soon!

Both the fabric and the bias tape came from my stash. I remember buying that fabric to make some little outfit for my niece when she was a baby... about 22 years ago. Obviously I didn't. Sorry about that Jean! Sorry carry! If you have a Barbie, I'll give you the robe for it to wear!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  



2 comments:

Jenny said...

I have sewn a bit of bias from time to time on some of my recent doll clothes projects. Often, it is sewn to the back side of the item (right side of bias to wrong side of garment), then turned to the front and topstitched. That way, you get a neat topstitch, and you KNOW the underside is secure! Also, you start with the narrower fold, so that the slightly wider one is to the outside.
Jenny :-)

Tricks and Manners said...

What a good idea! I wish the tutorial I watched had said to do it that way, instead of just the opposite. I wouldn't have so much hand stitching to do! Thanks Jenny!