A scrapbook of whatever I'm making, collecting, or just obsessing about
at the moment.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Vintage Pattern Sewing: McCalls 2123 View A Jumpsuit, Scarf and Vest

And now we come to the only view with legs! This jumpsuit pattern shares characteristics with others in McCall 2123: sleeves cut-in-one with the body rather than set in separately, a self-faced jewel neckline, and a long bust dart that starts near the waist.

My favorite part of this view is the scarf. The instructions said to fray the edges for about 1/2 inch to make a fringe, and I enjoyed both the process and the way it came out.

The vest was designed for felt or vinyl--no facings at fronts or armholes and no edge-finishes. The white vinyl I had on hand was flannel-backed, but the extra thickness didn't cause too much trouble. Going through my stash, I really didn't see many suitable fabrics for the jumpsuit, or for the scarf either. If I were shopping at my favorite fabric store, I'd have chosen differently, but these cottons work well enough and didn't cost extra.

Pos'n Tammy in View A McCalls 2123
Pos'n Tammy gets to model it first because she has the best figure to wear all three pieces. It's a little too short through the torso for Misty, and TNT Barbie looks dwarfed in it, and poor little Francie just swims in it.

Tammy could use a little extra sleeve length, but other than that it fits her well.

If I were making it again, I'd use a silkier, drapey-er fabric for the scarf, and for a special outfit, maybe some ultra-suede for the vest.

TNT Barbie, my pretty Coco, in View A, McCalls 2123





















For Barbie, I've adjusted the jumpsuit in back to look good in front! In reality, the neck and shoulders are too big for her, and the neckline doesn't sit well. But sometimes beauty is the art of illusion.

And for that matter, if I were a mom sewing this for my child to dress her Barbie in, I'd just make those adjustments permanent with my needle and thread instead of with straight pins.

The pose is making a great deal of difference here too! It's not so graceful-looking straight-on. I'm thinking the jumpsuit might hang better in a really silky, drape-y fabric too... I might just have some in my stash somewhere. 

The pattern pieces for View A jumpsuit, vest, and scarf from McCalls 2123.

No comments: